When not imitating emoji faces and passing out in the heat, the 5 coaches of The Voice Australia dispensed their pearls of wisdom. Here’s what we learnt.
1. “If it gives you the impulse to stand up, do it man, and people will stand up with you if you own that standing up.” — Ricky Martin
LIFE LESSON: Believe in and back yourself. Trust your instincts and, if you give it everything you’ve got, everyone else might go along with it too.
2. “You’re a very kind woman, but I want blood on that stage.” — Ricky Martin
LIFE LESSON: You’re not always going to please everyone in life, and not everyone is going to like you. But that’s OK. Sometimes you need to break a few eggs to make an omelette.
3. “It was heavenly and I just saw you on a white horse with wings and a sword”
— Joel Madden
LIFE LESSON: When you don’t hold back, your songstrel notes might inspire someone to have a celestial beatific vision. Shazam!
4. “Life is a journey I don’t have a map for.”
– Delta Goodrem
LIFE LESSON: Noone really knows where we’re going or why we’re here. But you can still do much better with a mentor who can help you muddle through and figure out your next step.
5. “Yesterday I would have turned in a heartbeat, but that’s the thing about this show — it’s timing and how the stars align.” — Delta Goodrem
LIFE LESSON: Sometimes all the planning in the world doesn’t help, you also need good luck and an accurate astrological chart.
6. “You know the best thing about ex-boyfriends? They make number 1 hits for you!” — Delta Goodrem
LIFE LESSON: Every cloud has a silver lining: you can learn how to make big profits from your mistakes, particularly the ones you want to forget.
7. “You weren’t breathing hardly at all, which is why you struggled. But honestly I’m genuinely excited about what you’re gonna become.” — Jessie J
LIFE LESSON: Don’t forget to breathe, as oxygen is life-sustaining. Sometimes the most obvious thing to do is staring you right in the face, but strangely, obvious decisions are often the most difficult to make.
8. “You live your life with your wounds open.” — Jessie J
LIFE LESSON: There’s no standing still while you’re healing from your latest affliction — just dust yourself off, grit your teeth and keep on moving.
9. (Jessie said to Delta regarding Which Spirit Animal Are You?) “You’re a squirrel and I’m an eagle.”
LIFE LESSON: Name-calling using spirit animal metaphors is confusing, as every animal is noble in its own way. Far easier to say, “I think you’re nuts, whereas I’m bold and brave!” Cut to the chase.
10. “I’m the kind of person who will finish my dinner and wait to see if I get food poisoning before I say thank you.” — Jessie J
LIFE LESSON: Don’t judge a meal by its Instagram photo.